Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Looking back on 2018 -






















Happy New Year! I've been meaning to write for a while, but life and work kept getting in the way.

One of the questions I get asked a lot is what I'm writing. I am writing - some. But I'm doing a lot of other things these days. My graphic design work has kept me busy, and I've really enjoyed it. Church has kept me hopping - this spring, I'm writing/organizing much of our women's bible study materials and then co-leading the sessions. I'm also on the pulpit search committee, since our pastor took another post last summer.




Anyway, with all of that going on, I've picked up and put down a few writing projects. I've learned that when you're on deadline, you write the thing you're most stressed about completing. But when you're not on deadline, you write the thing you love most. 

This last year was a rough one. My father-in-law passed away unexpectedly and we had a lot of travel in the spring. Mid-summer, I started addressing some health problems and underwent minor surgery in the fall. through all that, I found myself wanting to write the kinds of books that helped keep my spirits afloat - mainstream contemporary romantic comedies. Everything else I started writing was a little too solemn, or a little too considered; starting something that I could have fun with, something that made me laugh, was a breath of fresh air. So that's the plan. 

(Btw, my agent whole-heartedly approves of this, so, like Reading Rainbow, you don't have to take my word for it. But really, you should.)

The other plan has been to continue to have a more balanced life - aside from work, there's time for friends, time for cooking, time for crafting. A couple of the projects from the holiday season - 



 I made a wreath from magnolia leaves...

...and meant to change out the ribbon and never did. I am at peace.  (Enjoy bonus Sylvie, the blur.)


I found inexpensive vases at Goodwill, spray-painted them, hand-painted with a contrast color, and then arranged them on my mantle - 

I'm really happy with how they came out! Also, loved my pom-pom garland (thank you, Target). 


The dogs were cute -


 And I made pretty much all of our family Christmas gifts.


I'm sure there will be lots more projects to come! What projects kept you busy over the holidays? Share in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in on the discussion!