Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Basil in Danger

I bought a basil plant yesterday. I've wanted one for several months, but it wasn't until Trader Joe's had plants all but lining their store yesterday, for the happy happy price of $2.99, that I finally got to bring a plant home.

My history with living plants is...checkered. As a kid I brought potted violets back from my grandma's. I'd kill them, then she'd bring them back to life. My grandmother is a plant whisperer. That particular gene skipped my generation.

In college I had a little potted palm tree. It stayed alive for almost two years. Might have lasted longer if it were nearer to a.) a water source and b.) a waterer. When I left to housesit, it was never quite the same.

I want things to be different this time. To ensure the basil's survival, I also bought a small potted gerbera daisy. The daisy is the canary, the rose plant at the end of the grapevine. If it dies, it serves as a warning. I hope it doesn't come to that. It's cute and the blooms are red.

One of my favorite things to do with basil is to stack it with a roma tomato, fresh mozzarella, and a baguette slice. Basil goes on top - drizzle with olive oil. Perfect for a summer day.

...at least, as long as the basil plant is still alive...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in on the discussion!