Thursday, December 17, 2009

Me, myself, and fairy tales



It's been memory lane in the Lodge home recently. Last week it was all manner of Mermaid nostalgia, and tonight it's princesses. Dancing princesses.

I've gotten hooked (and by "hooked," I mean, "can't put it down, this is kind of embarrassing, haven't been this stuck in a book since the Twilight books, but at least it's much better written" kind of hooked) on Juliet Marillier's books since one of the blogs on Writer Unboxed mentioned her Daughter of the Forest in a lovely blog about fantasy and fairy tale.

My fairy tale addiction has been very, very well observed and documented. In every library I visited, I knew where the fairy tale section was. I loved the pictures, the ethereally beautiful princesses in their gowns, the illustrations of Walter Crane, Hilary Knight, Gustave Doré, Susan Jeffers, Paul O. Zelinsky, and K.Y. Craft. 

The Twelve Dancing Princesses was one of my favorites. And why not? For a princess fan, you get a lot of bang for your buck. I can't tell you how much I loved this book, every page.

I was still more excited to find that Juliet Marillier had done an adaptation of Twelve in her book Wildwood Dancing. I picked it up at the library today, and looked at the cover. Then really looked at the cover. Because the art looked familiar!

I checked the jacket to find out who did the cover design. Kinuko Y. Craft. Seriously! I was so excited to find that. How perfect could that be?

I'm twenty-six now, and since I've married an engineer, I no longer desire to marry into royalty. Now that I'm a writer, I don't particularly want to be a princess when I grow up (mind you, this was my career goal until I was, like, nine). But there's still something about fairy tales that holds a special place in my heart.

In this blog, Sophie Masson wrote:

"Fairytale is less grand than myth, and less ’serious’ than legend, but it is more romantic than both. More human. And yet more magical. More geared towards not the great ones of this world, but the little people."

It's my hope to one day get to write a fairy tale, or a fairy tale adaptation. Right now I'm writing Amish, but it won't be forever. I won't be a princess, but at least I can write about one.

4 comments:

  1. The Twelve Princesses has always been my favorite traditional fairy tale. But if you haven't read The Ordinary Princess by M.M.Kaye, you are missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it - I have missed out! But I put a hold on it at the library, so the situation will be corrected shortly. I love princess books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you love beautiful fairy tale illustrations, you should check out those of Errol le Cain. His Twelve Dancing Princesses is a particular favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip! Looked up some of the illustrations on Google Images - such an interesting blend of Baroque elements and Japanese art. Really lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Join in on the discussion!