Monday, May 5, 2014

Wildflowers in the Desert: Honoring the Empty Womb


The Mother’s Day anxiety first hits in early March, when it dawns on me that spring is coming.

At first I’m excited for the longer days, the signs of life. I crave the color and sunlight. But then my mind considers the calendar and I remember that Mother’s Day waits in May. Suddenly, my chest tightens and my brain begins to flail, trying to stave off the spiral of depression and hopelessness.



I’ve written about infertility before; it’s one of those sorrows that changes and shifts over time. After four years I can feel the damage it’s done to my heart. I’ve guarded myself against bitterness, but every month I feel the calluses around my heart become deeper, harder. I ache at their presence but don’t know how to function in polite society without them.

For the infertile woman, the church culture can present a unique difficulty. Churches boast of how family-centric they are; programming includes groups for mothers, parenting classes, children’s programs.

Don’t get me wrong, I want churches to celebrate and support their families. But I carry so much pain in my heart that the church seldom soothes and too often exacerbates. The usual obstacles I can handle if I’ve prepared myself – old acquaintances and new faces asking if we have children, us answering that no, we don’t, even though our peers in age are parenting five-year-olds. The encouragement to be involved in children’s ministries. The exhortation from the pulpit to just pray more, to have more faith, to be less broken.

The worst, though, can be the dismissive attitude towards miscarriage. No matter if this child existed for the blink of an eye, unable to implant properly, or long enough to make its presence known, it’s a loss felt deeply to the core.
And yet in circles of faith I repeatedly hear similar responses. “It was God’s will.” “There was probably something wrong with the baby.” “You’ll get pregnant again, don’t worry.”

My dear loved ones, this should not be. If we as a faith culture become saddened and aggrieved at the loss of life through intentionally aborted pregnancy, if we believe in life at conception, then loss of life through miscarriage should likewise be a cause of sadness and grief. When did the church decide to embrace joy as a community but leave the poor in spirit to grieve alone?

It takes enormous courage to live with infertility, to be brave. The women I know who have walked that road are beautiful and tough. No matter if they conceived and delivered a healthy children, adopted, or chose to remain childless - they’re women of valor, women to be admired.

I hope one day to be able to join their ranks – I’m still a mess, y’all. Seriously. But even still, we’ve been able to minister in ways we wouldn’t have been able to if we hadn’t walked this road. I don’t ascribe to the theology that our infertility exists so that we could have had those opportunities. Instead, I hold to the belief that rare wildflowers can grow in the desert.

So as we approach Mother’s Day, I ask for grace. As we honor the mothers, honor too the empty wombs, the ones who have lost, the ones who wait. Honor the women – married and single – who have walked unusual roads and discovered unique riches.

Show mercy to the poor in spirit, offer kindness to the travelers of lonely roads. Use your faith to buoy, rather than shame, those who struggle.

Most importantly, pray for the wildflowers to reveal themselves.



8 comments:

  1. Thank you for having the courage to post this..I was one of the lucky ones, I have a beautiful daughter who. Is now 27, but I also have three children in heaven who did not live long enough for a funeral, and because there are no tombstones, it seems I grieve alone. May God bless you immensely this Mother's Day! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hillary, this is beautiful. I, too, dealt with infertility. We adopted two precious girls. I put out a book this last year on surviving hardships and shared my story. It's really tough. Baby dedications were the worst ... Mother's Day ... I'll be praying for you. I always say that I thought having children was my childhood dream ... and after grabbing hold of God through the journey, I discovered that my true childhood dream was knowing Him. Really beautiful post. I'm going to be watching to see what God does ... it'll be good, guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your heart. I have felt the sting of infertility also. It was a journey I never anticipated and it can get awfully lonely...I planned baby showers, babysat, made cakes, welcomed babies at hospitals, being told that I haven't tried hard enough or long enough or that I am just too stressed and...the dreaded mother's day. We ended up going through IVF and were blessed with our oldest daughter who is now 7. After that I went through extensive treatments (non-IVF this time b/c of my specific condition) and were blessed with our 2nd daughter who is 3.

    I wish I could see into the future and tell you that won't always be this way...I can tell you that you'll be in my prayers and that every mother's day I consider this b/c I was once that woman. Blessings to you and I will pray for wildflowers to reveal themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for expressing the pain so well ... and for having the courage to embrace hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was beautiful. You're beautiful. Thank you for writing this and honoring us with mother hearts but empty wombs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the imagery of wildflowers in the desert. I think that it can apply to so many aspects of life, that there are blessings even in hardship. That good can come out of bad, but it doesn't mean that God causes the bad. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this! As one who yearns for the chance to be a mother, I really appreciate your bravery in putting your feelings out there. Mother's Day has always been such a hard day. I personally believe any miscarriage isn't really lost but that those babies are up in heaven and you'll be able to be with them again someday. May the Lord lift up your heart and comfort you through this challenging time. You've definitely comforted me and I greatly appreciate it. So I will think of myself as blooming in the desert-- of worth and infinite in value even if I can't have what I want most right now. Thank you again for your inspired words. May God bless you & your husband!

    ReplyDelete

Join in on the discussion!