Thursday, July 7, 2011

Happy Anniversary, Us - Part IV


Four years ago today, I married my best friend.

When I wrote my second novel, Simply Sara, one of the themes that developed was the idea of home, and how home isn't necessarily a place.

What I've discovered in this past year is exactly how true that is.  Since our last anniversary, we've lived in Eugene, Portland, Memphis, and Richland.  At some point in the future (and goodness knows when) we'll move again, this time across town into our freshly-built house.

We've lived with family, we've lived far from family. But no matter where we are, my home is wherever Danny is.  As much as I miss my family, my friends, and the trappings of familiarity, I need Danny more.  No matter how unsettled our living situation is, as long as I'm with him, I can manage.

The thing is, no matter where we are, Danny's feet are still ticklish.  He still consumes large quantities of ice cream and Hot Tamales.  He still complains when his hair gets too long and it flops in his face.  He still opens my car door.  He still reaches for my hand when we walk together. He's still taller than me, even if I'm in five-inch heels. His smile still lights up his face (I know it's a cliché, but it's true). His hug is still the one that truly makes things better.  We still get each other.  Our "us-ness" remains the same, even if our location has shifted.

He's my home, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

7 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. You two sound adorable together. Happy anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings to you both. Sounds like you're living your HEA and loving it!
    LynneW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh!! That is so cute! I love anniversaries. May God bless you both even more in year 5:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *gag* ;) jk Happy anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! We had a really wonderful anniversary.

    Rachel - hey, you know, at least it wasn't a four-month dating anniversary...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said Hillary! That's exactly what I've said about my husband after being transported to Mississippi. My home is with my husband.

    ReplyDelete

Join in on the discussion!